Whistler Blackcomb Holdings Inc. has announced details of its plans for Whistler Blackcomb Renaissance, the largest and most exciting investment in the company’s history. Renaissance will see over $345 million invested in three phases in new weather-independent experiences, on-mountain improvements, and real estate developments with the objective of accelerating the company’s vision of becoming the number one mountain resort in the world to play, to work and to invest. These investments will further solidify and enhance the company’s reputation as one of the world’s greatest four-season mountain resorts and will build on its year-round appeal to all guests, particularly families.
Renaissance includes three phases of investment that will add new, year-round attractions and activities, see major on-mountain winter and summer improvements, and revitalize Blackcomb’s upper and lower base areas.
“Whistler Blackcomb Renaissance is the most progressive investment in our history and will leverage our tremendous success building our non-ski business. This is a very exciting growth initiative that, we expect, will increase year-round visitation to Whistler, insulate our resort from variable weather conditions, and strengthen Whistler’s position as one of the premier mountain resort destinations in the world.” – Dave Brownlie, Whistler Blackcomb President and Chief Executive Officer
The company expects the three phases of Renaissance will include:
Whistler Renaissance Phase 1: The Watershed
An estimated $90 – $100 million investment in new mountain adventure experiences designed to redefine how guests play at Whistler Blackcomb. The company expects phase one to bring the following new attractions and amenities to Whistler:
- The Watershed, a year-round, indoor adventure center focusing on water-based play located at Blackcomb’s upper base. The company envisions the Watershed as a 163,000 square foot facility featuring activities like waterslides, the latest deep water surf simulator technology, cliff jumping and rock climbing experiences, a wave pool, hot and cold pools, bowling, food & beverage facilities and retail amenities, as well as other weather-independent activities;
- A new high-speed lift to replace the Magic Chair and connect Blackcomb’s upper and lower bases;
- A year-round mountain coaster, a tree-top ropes course, and ATV and snowmobile activities for kids;
- New snow school learning zones, a night skiing zone, and enhanced snowmaking on Blackcomb Mountain; and
- Major improvements to Whistler Blackcomb’s existing sightseeing, hiking and mountain biking experiences, with the addition of a suspension bridge and viewing platforms at the peak of Whistler Mountain, and an expansion of the Whistler Mountain Bike Park into the Creekside zone, including 50 kilometers of new downhill mountain biking trails.
The company anticipates Renaissance phase one will position Whistler Blackcomb to welcome new ski and non-ski visitors and generate meaningful incremental revenue and free cash flow once construction is complete.
Whistler Renaissance Phase 2: New Daylodge, Snow School Facility, & Townhomes
An estimated $105 – $115 million investment in a new day lodge and snow school facility within the Watershed indoor adventure center on Blackcomb Mountain, a two-storey parking complex at Blackcomb’s upper Base II area, and other infrastructure projects to lay the foundation for Renaissance phase three. The company’s current plans for phase two also include the development and sale of approximately 60 high-end, ski-in ski-out townhomes near the Watershed, totaling approximately 160,000 net saleable square feet.
Whistler Renaissance Phase 3: Upper Village Revitalisation
An estimated $140 – $150 million investment in a major revitalization of Blackcomb’s base area in the Upper Village, which the company currently expects to include an upgraded day lodge and skiers’ plaza, a new snow school facility and a luxury real estate development project. Phase three is designed to transform Blackcomb’s base area into a vibrant, upscale village community. The company anticipates Renaissance phase three will also include major on-mountain improvements such as lift improvements and the development of an indoor action sports training facility designed to expand the company’s youth development programs in skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking.
Whistler Blackcomb Renaissance Website & Master Plans
Whistler Blackcomb Renaissance Website
Additional information about Renaissance is available on the Renaissance website at http://renaissance.whistlerblackcomb.com/
Whistler Blackcomb Master Plans
The Company’s draft master plans are available at http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/holdings/financial-reports-filing-documents